Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I am not folding to peer pressure. . .

I did it, I got my oldest a cell phone.   I have not broken under the pressure.  He is going to be playing JV football this year and I have been waiting on him after practice because you never know when they will finish.  This is a right of passage for my dear oldest, this means I think he is old enough to be responsible and mature enough to handle this.  I am sure you hear my hesitation.   This is a trial run and next will be the car.  Eeeeek!!!.  Did I really just say that?   
He is not getting the newest version of any of the phones.   The one he is getting is somewhere between the one Zack from Saved by the Bell had and the one that every other kid age 7 and older has now.  
I figure I have at least three more years before Big T has a need for a phone. 
Kids and cell phones have been a big issue for me.  I find it very amusing why some people want to buy their 5 and 6 year olds $500 + phones.   
The phone I bought for my self did not cost near that much.  My computer I got for my self for school did not cost that much.   Oh and the older model phone Sprat is getting was free when I purchased a month of service through a pay as you go plan. 
Yes, you could say I am tight with money, I like to think I am frugal.   I am saving for two college funds while paying for my own college in cash and running a household on one income while staying out of debt.  
I would love to hear what you guys think on the whole child entitlement thing we have going on all around us.  Our kids more and more think they should have the biggest and the best of everything no matter the cost.   It is up to us as parents to stop that line  of thinking.  My kids are just as guilty of these thoughts, the difference with my boys is I don't give in.   We must stand strong with how we were raised. 

No comments: