Saturday, August 30, 2014

Mama Bear? ? ?

Does anyone else have the mama bear syndrome?  I think I am eat up with it.  If you don't know what I mean by mama bear then you don't  have kids or they are just babies.  That does not mean that you won't find your mama bear personality down the road.  Mama bear syndrome usually occurs when you as the mom see or feel that your child is either in danger or being grossly mistreated.   You feel the hair on the back of your neck stand up and you want to intercept what ever danger is headed toward your child.   Sometimes you just have a feeling when your child is not around that something is going to happen.  I have had that one a couple of times and have stopped what was about to happen once I got to where my child was.  Sometimes it is just the fact that they are getting ready to do something stupid like jump a bicycle over a drive way.  It seems simple but as soon as we left the kid jumped the drive way and didn't quite make it and broke his collar bone.  Sometimes you just have to trust your gut.  It is not always the popular decision according to your child.
Mama bear can come out in other ways too.   You know Sprat just got a cell phone and he is actually being very responsible with it.  It does not go up to his bedroom at night and yes I do check it each day to see what is on it.  Do not assume all kids are nice because they are not, some are just plain mean, deceitful, and conniving.  As a mama bear you must keep vigilant and watch over your kids and their friends or who they think their friends are.  Sprat has three close friends and of course they got his number right off the bat but now he is getting text from people he does not know.  I have warned him about giving his number out and that some people are not who they appear to be.  Facebook and texting allows too much anonymity if you ask me.  I told him he should be ware of people texting and not telling who they are.  I told him some boys may pretend they are girls and try to get him in trouble.  He, of course, blew me off and does not want to listen.   One tried to friend me on Facebook and I don't quite understand that one, and it was just a wee bit creepy.  They do not run in the same circles and up to this year they never even played the same sport.  You see why I am apprehensive of some of these kids he is in school with.  Some just want to know what everyone else is doing and it drives them crazy when they don't.
To all the mama bears and to the future mama bears stay strong and follow your gut.

No comments: