Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Techno Tuesday. . .

People are losing jobs, being arrested and getting divorced all because of some type of technology.  A woman posts something nasty about her job and she gets fired.   A man posts a picture of himself with another woman and ends up divorced.  Two girls post pictures of themselves in dresses that they had shoplifted earlier that day.   They are later arrested.  These are just a few of the headlines I have seen just this year.
Anyone looking for a job these days better clean up their online fingerprints if they expect to be taken seriously.   My brother in-law had a job interview more than 10 years ago and his prospective employer looked him up.  Funny thing was the employer could not find anything on him.  He has no profiles on any social media. The employer asked him about it the day of the interview,  my brother in-law replied simply that he did not have time for things like that. 
I share this story just to show you that this does happen and more frequently than you think.  I am shocked at the teens and young adults that post pictures of themselves and others intoxicated and passed out.  These do not say I am a reliable employee.   I would not be surprised if colleges do not look into prospective students' online fingerprints.  They may not advertise that they do this but you can bet they are.  
I am thankful I grew up and did all my stupid things before the internet. 

No comments: