Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Fat Tuesday. . .

Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday, the day before Ashe Wednesday, the day the Season of Lent begins.  It is Fat or Great because it is a day of good food and parties before Lent begins.   Lent begins on Ashe Wednesday and lasts forty days not counting Sundays, it ends on Easter Sunday.   This began after Jesus baptism and he went into the wilderness for forty days and was tempted by Satan.   Jesus went into the wilderness to fast and pray and to be with God.  Many use the time of Lent to rededicate themselves to God and to grow closer to God.  They do this by giving up something they like or maybe feel like could be distracting them from God.  A couple years ago I decided rather than give up something I would incorporate something into my daily life to bring me closer to God and do something for someone else.  I chose to pray for everyone on my Facebook friends list everyday during Lent.   I have not decided what I am doing this year but I like the idea of doing something for others rather than just giving up something for myself.   My kids got in on the act too, they each gave up something they felt distracted them from God.  I am not sure what they will do this year, I think they are still thinking about it.
Happy Fat Tuesday. . .

No comments: