Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Little Things Count. . .

This is for new Mommies or soon to be Mommies.  When I was pregnant with Sprat I was so excited about having a baby and when we found out it was a boy I was thrilled.  I read all the books and was trying to prepare my house for this wonderful new addition.  I wrote out this long birth plan and gave it to my doctor, it detailed everything I wanted during my pregnancy and my labor and delivery.  The one thing I listed in it numerous times was that I did not want a C-section.  I was absolutely terrified of having a C-section.  I was very fortunate that my hubby had a working relationship with my OB and when it came down to it, he did everything he could to keep me from having a C-section.   It did not work out that way and I ended up having a C-section and I am very glad I did, poor Sprat was wedged in my pelvis and they had to use suction to get him out, even with the section.  I think I was terrified of the unknown.  My doctor was the BEST, he took such good care of me, Sprat, and the hubbs.  
The hubbs and I started a savings account for Sprat even before he was born.  We had a big jug and put all of our extra change in it for him and once he had a social security number we opened a savings account in his name.   I still put our change in his account and in Big T's.   I found this really cool time capsule in one of my baby gadget catalogs and I got one for Sprat.  On his second birthday I had requested that everyone bring something that meant something to them to put in his time capsule.  The hubbs and I added a few personal things from us and that were popular that year.  We sealed it and will open it on his eighteenth birthday.   The time capsule itself was a large tin can, sort of like a popcorn tin, it had directions of what to put in it.  It has been so long since we did it I do not remember what all we put in it, so I am pretty excited to what we will have.  I also did one for Big T, his was not a professional tin I just used an old popcorn tin and again we put things in it for him specific to when he was born.  
The other thing I do is write to my kids.  I write them notes about how I felt during different times of their lives.  Sometimes I write once a year and sometimes I write more than that, it depends on what is going on with our lives.  I write just on plain notebook paper and then I seal it in an envelope.  These I will give them when they graduate high school.  Each envelope is dated so they know when they were written and they also include a little money.  Some have a $20 some have a $10 but this will give them a little money for their graduation to do with as they please (with in reason).   Even if your kids are older you can still do the letter writing.  I hope it will mean something to my kids to have my thoughts and feelings and even prayers for them on paper.
These are just an example of some of the little things I have done and am doing for my kids.   If you have you would like to share please feel free to post a comment below.  I would love to hear from you.

No comments: