Wednesday, February 17, 2016

What's Cooking Wednesday???

You know I do not normally cook on Wednesdays because at our house it is "Whacky Wednesday."  The kids get pizza because of the special our pizza place runs every Wednesday.  They eat for two days for $15, you just cannot beat that.  The hubbs and I usually fix something for us that the kids do not like, tuna or soup.
For our Valentines meal we had roast, baked beans, and fresh (frozen from our garden) black eyed peas and tater tots (for the boys).   I cooked the peas in a little beef broth with a little fatback and they were wonderful.   The hubbs loves his garden fresh veggies, thank goodness his peas are easy to freeze.
The balsamic roast recipe, I found on Pinterest and it is the one I shared on "What to Cook if it Snows????"  This was a great recipe, usually I have leftovers to use in soup the next day or so.  I had no leftovers with this one.  Very moist and very tasty the kids even liked it.
 I love my crock pot and I use it a great deal, especially during the winter months, it is so easy and economical.   My father-in-law gave me my first crock pot, I am not sure why I did not get one as a Wedding gift or why I did not buy one for myself.   I was so excited to have this new gadget and was not quite sure what to fix in it.  I think the first thing I fixed was a chili, the hubbs and I loved chili that was one of the first things I made for him when we were dating.  I had always just used a big stove top pot to cook my chili in.  The crock pot made it so convenient and I did not have to worry about babysitting it all day.   I still have that pot that my father-in-law gave me but I also have a larger pot that I use most of the time since I am trying to feed four.
When the hubbs and I were first married I traveled a good bit with my job so I got to go to some neat places.  On one of my trips I visited Cincinnati, the company took us to the Montgomery Inn to have dinner.   I had the Cincinnati chili and I loved it.  It was very different than any other chili I had eaten.  While going through the airport on my way home I stopped in the gift shop and found a little magnet with a Cincinnati chili recipe on it and that is what I will share with you today.  I hope you like it, it is different.

Cincinnati Chili

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2oz) can peeled whole tomatoes
small onion chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 clove of garlic
3 bay leaves

Brown meat with onions and drain grease.   Add to crock pot then add all the other ingredients  cook for 4-5 hours covered on low.   Remove garlic and bay leaves before serving.  In Cincinnati they server their chili over spaghetti and topped with cheese, onions, and sour cream.  You can fix it any way you like but all the way is the best.
Until we eat again . . .

No comments: