Sunday, August 30, 2009

Knitting . . .

I have started knitting. Mark says it is an old lady kinda thing. What do you think? I have always wanted to learn to knit. My niece Allison knits and she is in high school.
She helped me get started. I finally finished my scarf I have been doing on and off for two years. It would not have take that long if I could have gotten someone to show me how to bind it off. Allison showed me how to get started but nobody ever told me or showed me how to finish. Finishing is tricky. I have taught myself the different stitches. I am now working on a stole for myself. The scarf is for me too. When I get more comfortable doing it I will give them to people. I have found a book on Prayer Shawls that is really neat. There are a few women in the Church that are doing these. I will definitely have to get better before I can give them away. They have a few errors in them and don't look exactly right, but hey they are hand made.

I don't think I am old because I like to knit. It is fun to see how it comes together to make something. I am excited about my stole. I will have to post you a picture of it when I finish. My goal is to get comfortable enough that I can knit things and give them away. Both of my kids received little hats while they were in the hospital right after they were born. The hats were knitted by local women that volunteer in the hospital. They are quite precious little hats. That is what I would like to do.

Let me know your thoughts: Is knitting an old lady thing?

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

It's not just an old lady thing! In fact, tons of people even have knitting blogs. You would be surprised at all the people out there that knit!

Pampered Mom said...

I did see some blogs on it the other day when I was looking for a new pattern. Mark just digs at me sometimes.