Thursday, May 9, 2013

More on the hobo front. . .

I was talking with one of my friends the other day and we got on the subject of pan handling.  We were talking about all the people that are standing on the corner begging for money.  They don't even go through the pretense anymore of saying, "will work for food," because that is a lie and everyone knew it.  They just say need money and then through in a "God Bless You," for good measure.   Please do not get me wrong, I know there are people out there down on their luck and in need.  I also know the people that really are in need are not the ones standing on the corner begging for money.  The people that really need help are too proud to ask for a hand out.  So here is the rub; my friend and I were talking and she said that one of her friends was in the Waffle House one night late and she looked around and all the guys that stand on the corners were there.  They were laughing and joking about how much money they had made that day.  One pulled out his cell phone to call his wife and tell her he was on his way home.  Now, the Waffle House part is hear say but, think about it the next time you start to give them money.  If you would like to make a donation where it would really help people in need, look to your Salvation Army, GoodWill, and if you are near Winston-Salem look to Sunnyside Ministries or the Samaritan Inn.  All of these places work to help those that are truly in need.  I am not saying this to be callous or heartless, I know there are people in need but, I do have an issue with people just asking for a hand out.  Just a thought.

No comments: