Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Parents under peer pressure. . .

You might not think parents can be under peer pressure but, we can fall into it if we are not careful.  This kinda goes along with the cell phone issue.  Sprat started again on the whole, "I need a cell phone" jag.   I have told him repeatedly that he does not need a cell phone.  His reasoning this time is that he wants to stay in touch with his friends over the summer.  I told him he could use the house phone if he wanted to talk with his friends.  That did not seem to satisfy him.  Thank goodness my hubby stands firm with me on this subject.  I think if we, as parents, were divided this might be a harder issue to deal with.   This is a form of parental peer pressure.  All the other kids' parents let them have a phone so why can't I?  I vow to hold to this one.  I will not bow to peer pressure.  I hope that by standing on my values that my kids learn something.  As parents we have to show our kids; values, morals, and ethics.  If we don't set good examples our kids are going to follow the pack.  I know I am weird but, lately I don't like what I see that most think is normal.   Normal seems to be two parents working to make ends meet and buying their kids the latest in technology just so they fit in.  Buying their kids brand new cars that they cannot afford just so their kids fit in.  I vow my kids are going to be weird!  They are not going to fit the norm.   They will not have cell phones till I deem it is a necessity and they will not be getting new cars, they will be lucky if they get a car at all.    I like being weird  and I am going to teach my kids the joy of being weird too.  It may take a little longer before they get it but they will understand some day and I hope they will teach their kids the same.

No comments: