Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Drug talk with the kids. . .

I am not sure how we got on this subject but I am glad we did.  Any time I have my kids in the car is a good time for me to throw things at them and catch them off guard.  I usually ask them something about drugs or sex.  I feel like if I catch them off guard I will get an honest answer or an honest reaction.  I started with Sprat of course and asked him if he had heard anyone talking about doing drugs.  I was shocked when he said yes.  I said ok, what did you hear?  He could not remember specifics but he had heard people talking about smoking pot.  He did not know the kids but he said they were in his grade.   I began my talk on the evils of drugs.  I told him he would have people that would try to get him to try it.  They would even say, one time would not hurt you.  I also told him that was a lie!  You can die from trying it just one time.  There is a laundry list of people that have died from trying drugs just one time.    We also talked about how some of these people will be your friends and try to use your friendship to try and get you to do things like, steal prescriptions from your medicine cabinet and bring them to school or the ball field.  Big T was listening too, I hope he was paying attention.   Dear hubby talked to them about what a complete waste it is to do drugs.  It is a waste of time, money and your brain cells.  He told them about guys he knew from College that had done drugs and how they lost scholarships and had to drop out of school.  I didn't know anyone in College that did drugs but I did know some in high school.  It is very sad, and it is never too early to start that talk with your kids so that they are aware of the things that can happen.  If they know in advance then they are better equipped to handle the situation if faced with it.

No comments: