Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Christmas Baking continues

Note:  if you are baking for others and bake early, you really should deliver early.  If you do not, you will end up like me,  baking again because you ate all of your goodies.   Ughhhhh
Yes, I admit it I love my sweets.  Today I will be making Hello Dollys and Pecan Sandies and I am going to make a wine cake.  The wine cake recipes come from my sister-in-law.   They are heavenly!  There is a white wine cake that is spicy and a blackberry wine cake that is fabulous.  The blackberry wine cake is a favorite of mine and Big T.  We had a get together at my in laws and my sister-in-law had made her blackberry wine cake.   Everyone had finished eating and was in the den relaxing.  I need to give you a little background before I finish the story.  Big T was in the 5th grade, so he was involved in the DARE program at school.  The DARE program teaches the kids about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.  When Sprat went through the program I got a lecture every time I had a glass of wine, which was not very often.  With Big T going through the program he also felt it necessary to add his two cents worth on my having a glass of wine.  I always told them when I had anything to drink I was not driving.   I cook with wine and beer regularly but I do not drink that often, just so you know.   With the back story out there back to our family get together. Big T came by me about three times with his plate full of blackberry wine cake.  I decided I would mention to him that the cake was made with wine (alcohol) just to give him a taste of what he had done to me.  His reply is typical Big T.  He said, "it's ok mommy I am not driving."    My boys do crack me up.
Here is your recipe for the Blackberry wine cake.
1 box of white cake mix
4 egss
3/4 cup oil
1 cup blackberry wine
1 3oz pkg of blackberry fusion jello

Mix all of this and put in an oiled bundt pan and bake at 325 for 60 minutes or until cake is done.
you can do a glaze to go on top with 1/2 cup of blackberry wine and 1/2 cup of sugar warmed to blend.  Pour over cake after it has cooled just a bit.   Let it sit for about 15 minutes before you try to turn it out.  
This is one of our favorites.  


No comments: