Thursday, December 4, 2014

Hand Made Christmas Gifts. . .

I love making goodies at the holidays especially Christmas.  I also enjoy sharing what I have made with others.  I used to make trays of goodies for my neighbors: different kinds of cookies, bars, and chex mix.  I would buy an inexpensive tray or plate and use that to deliver my sweets, my neighbors were to keep the tray as part of their gift.   My mom used to make all kinds of goodies and do something similar for her friends and neighbors and I guess that is where I got the idea.  Most of the time my sweets are well received but, one time one of my neighbors responded, I don't have anything to give you or I cannot repay you.  I do this because I like sharing with others not because I want something in return.  It really hurt my feelings that someone would think I expected something from them.  A simple thank you and Merry Christmas would have been wonderful, anything except  a question of my motive.   That next year I didn't bake my sweets for my neighbors because I felt so bad.  The year after that I decided I did not care what anyone thought and I made even more sweets to share.   Do me a favor, if someone in your neighborhood or office bakes you goodies just respond with a simple thank you and Merry Christmas.  
I also enjoy making ornaments with the kids.   I helped my nieces make some glass ornaments one year when they came to visit.  We took clear glass ball ornaments and we drizzled glue in the ball and rolled it so it would cover the inside.   Then we took glitter and shook it inside the ornament and shook it around to cover the inside.  They make beautiful ornaments and the kids can make them with adult supervision.   My sister made me some ornaments out of her sheeps' shearing.   She took the same type of glass ball and she put the sheep's wool in the ball.  You can buy those glass ornaments at AC Moore or Michael's or any craft store.   Below are some pictures of those ornaments and my tree because I just finished decorating today.  Wheww! 

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I can't believed someone reacted negatively to your tray of sweets! I'm assuming she was having a bad day or is perhaps just a grinch! Anyway, I'm glad you started making treats again. I'm sure everyone else really loves receiving them!

Pampered Mom said...

I was taken off guard by it. I am so much like my mom it is scary. When ever anyone comes to her house the first thing she says is; "hey, how ya doing, have you eaten? Can I fix you something to eat?" That good ole Southern hospitality. Beth, I may just have to bless your house with some sweets this year. ha ha ha!!!!