Monday, December 1, 2014

A Mother's Opinion. . .teens driving

I am going to weigh in on all the kids that have been killed in car accidents these last few weeks.  I feel very sorry for the families that have been affected by these tragic events.  I pray every night for each of them.  With that said, here is my opinion.
I think teens today have had a lack of parental involvement.   The economy is bad,  most families require both parents working and the kids are left  to their own.  Our kids are over indulged and under parented. 
A friend of mine is trying to set up a driving program for our high school to better educate our kids for the road.  I applaud her for trying to do something. I don't think that is the root of the problem.  Teens today have no respect for authority, themselves or anyone else for that matter.  They are a very self-centered group.  I see it everyday when I pick up my kids at school.  They are checking their phones and not paying attention to their driving.  You can see it on Facebook with the sketchy photos of young girls.  Read it and hear it on the news about the sexting.  This generation is growing up way to quickly and they are not mentally able to handle it. 
They all believe it cannot happen to them but sadly,  it is happening every day. 
The latest I read was a 15 year old driving with two 16 year olds and a 17 year old at 2 in the morning.   The 15 year old and two others are dead.   I do not understand why parents are not keeping a closer eye on their kids.  Yes, I guess I am an old fart with backward ideas.  I am not trying to be my child's friend,  I am their parent and disciplinarian.   Not a fun job some days but it is my job to make sure they abide by the rules.  I love my kids too much to give in to every whim and let them get by with misbehavior.    I hold my kids accountable for their actions and that is not popular these days.   These days the popular thing to do is deny it happened or blame someone else.  
Your kids really want your time not your money, they are begging for it everyday.  When they act out and do things they know are wrong, that is a cry for attention.  
 Please do not think I am heartless or callous because of what I have written.  I have a 15 year old that is learning to drive and my heart breaks every time I hear about another wreck.   We need to encourage our kids to stand against the "crowd" and not be afraid to be different and to do what they know is right when the "crowd" is doing what our kids know is wrong.   If we do not we may be getting that late night call of tragedy, and I do not want that to happen to anyone.   
This is just my opinion, and my kids are not perfect by an stretch of the imagination.   The difference with my kids, is I know they are capable of stretching the truth on occasion and I know how to catch them.  They also know I will find everything out one way or the other.   "There is nothing covered that will not be revealed and hidden that will not be known" Matthew 10:26

No comments: