Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What's Cooking for New Year's?

What is everyone fixing for New Year's day celebrations?   We will be having greens, black eyed peas, rolls, chicken, and an assortment of other items.  We always have greens, that is a traditional New Year's day side.  Greens represent the green of money, so you are supposed to eat plenty to have plenty in the new year.   Some say black eyed peas represent coins, my mom always said they represent good health for the new year.   I do not eat greens often but I do enjoy a healthy portion on New Year's day.  It sure cannot hurt.   So, eat your greens for more green in the new year and eat black eyed peas for health and wealth in the new year.  
I am lucky that my brother-in-law cooks most everything on New Year's day so all I have to do is bring a dip and maybe a dessert.  This year I will be fixing a jalapeno corn dip that is to die for.  I would not suggest this very often because it is so heavy but oh so good.   Here is that recipe:
1 32oz bag of whole kernel corn frozen
1 stick of butter
1 pkg of cream cheese
1 jar of jalapenos

I let me butter get soft along with the cream cheese then I add several tablespoons of juice from the jar of jalapenos.  Add the corn but, be ready because the corn is frozen it makes everything stiff and hard to mix.  After it is all combined spread it in a casserole dish I usually put  few jalapeno slices on top and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.  Serve warm with tortilla chips.

I am also making some Christmas Crack.  I am not sure if I have shared this one before but, it was a huge hit at my moms' this year and I decided I would fix it again.
Saltines
1 stick of butter
1 cup of brow sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 bag of white chocolate chips

Melt butter and add brown sugar, bring to a boil, remove from heat and add vanilla.  Lay out your saltines in a single layer on a cookie sheet, I put parchment paper under mine, then pour butter mixture over crackers.  Bake at 400 for 6 minutes.  When you take it out pour your chocolate chips on and then the white chocolate chips and let them set to melt a little.  Then smear them around to make them smooth.  Allow them to set and the chocolate to get firm then separate and serve.  This is before the chocolate has gotten firm enough to separate. 

No comments: