Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Book Club Eats. . .

Trying to decide what to fix for book club this weekend.  We usually do appetizers of some sort and I would like to try something new.  I went to Pinterest to my appetizer board to see what I might fix and these are the ones that I thought would be good.  A cold crab dip with crackers, pineapple cheese ball, dill pickle dip, or my standard jalapeno corn dip.
I picked the crab dip because it reminds me of a restaurant in Charleston called the Trawler that had the best crab dip in the world.  We used to go there as a family when my brother was in school at the Citadel. They would bring the dip like the Mexican restaurants do chips and salsa.  The pineapple cheese ball is very yummy, one of my dear hubbys' aunts used to make it all the time for family get togethers.   I love pickles so that is a no brainer and my standard jalapeno dip is just really good and fairly easy to fix.
Here are the recipes of the day;
Cold Crab dip courtesy of http://mom-machine.com
1 lb real crab (you can use imitation but not quite as healthy)
1/2 cup sour cream
16 oz cream cheese
1tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced green onion
2tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp horseradish
Mix sour cream, cream cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, and horseradish.  Gently fold in the crab meat, onions, and cheese until it is full incorporated.  Cover and chill in fridge for a couple of hours before serving.  I will let you know if it is as good as the Trawler.

Pineapple Cheese ball by Chef in Training
12 oz of cream cheese
1 small can crushed pineapple (well drained)
2-3 tbsp powdered sugar to taste
2 tbsp of green onion chopped
2-3 tbsp chopped deli ham
1 cup chopped pecans
combine your ingredients and mash into a ball and chill.  Roll in crushed pecans.

Dill Pickle Dip by http://www.food.com/recipe/pickle-wrap-dip-397575
16 oz cream cheese
12 oz budding beef, chopped
16 oz baby dill pickles drained and diced
Combine cream cheese, chopped beef, and diced pickles mix well.  Serve chilled with crackers.

Corn and Jalapeno dip by a friend
32oz frozen kernel corn
1 stick of butter
1 block of cream cheese
1 jar of jalapenos
Soften the cream cheese and butter and cream them together.  Add a few table spoons of juice from your jalapenos.  Add your corn and mix pour into a casserole dish and top with jalapenos.  Bake 350 until bubbly, around 30 minutes or so.  Serve with tortilla chips.  This is very heavy but oh so good.

I have taken the corn dip to book club before so I think I may take one of the others.  I am leaning toward the crab dip.  Until we eat again.

No comments: