Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thinking Creatively. . .

Today Big T had school as did I but, Sprat was out due to exams.  Mom must get creative especially since hubby has been out of town all week, headed home this evening.   I decided Sprat would go with me to school.  I did not want to leave him at home  alone and I thought it would be a good chance for him to check out a college campus.  I know it is just a two year college but he has to start somewhere.   I also thought he should know how my day goes when I go to school.   There are kids only a year older than him in my class, they are in early college.  It is kind of weird being in class with kids that are young enough to be my own.   Most days it does not bother me, today I was a little bothered.  I guess I am just wondering what is the rush in growing up these days.   As it is the youth today are all doing things two to three times earlier than I ever did and now we want them to go to college quickly so they can face the yuck of finding a job and going to work.  Why can't they just be kids a little longer?  Many of the kids in my classes  will graduate high school with not only their high school diploma but an Associates in something through early college.   Are they really ready for that?  Are they ready at that age to face the drudgery of work?   I guess I want my kids to enjoy being a kid and to enjoy college life, not to the extent that they neglect their grades or do something stupid and mess up their life but have some fun.  They have their whole lives to work, why not enjoy being young and free.   I am sure some of you probably think I am out of my mind and that is alright, maybe I am.   I just know that these kids are not really ready to face the work world, they need to experience a little more life first.   There is a bigger push now to test out of certain subjects by demonstrated mastery.   This may seem like a good idea on paper, the kids do not take a class they already know and end up being bored out of their minds.   What next, what will they take if they test out of a couple things, or do you end up sending them to college two years early.  I know from my kids that mine are not emotionally able to handle that kind of responsibility.   
Think about when you were in college, you did not have to attend class if you did not want to, the professors never nagged you about homework.   They told you one time when assignments were due and it was your responsibility to make sure that it was done on time.  Yes, there is a marvelous little bit of technology called Blackboard that allows you to keep up with your assignments but you still have to check in with it, it does not check in with you.  
I know I have blathered on again, but this was on my mind today.  I would love to know what you are thinking.  Here is the question:  Are we rushing our kids to grow up too fast?  

No comments: