Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Homemade Mac & Cheese

Many years ago dear hubby was diagnosed with food allergies.  Unfortunately the first doctor we went to was a crack pot.  He told us hubby could not eat anything but potatoes and certain meats.   We went for that all important second opinion, thank goodness, and found out that he does have food allergies but not to the extent the first doctor told us.   He tested positive to salicilates; this is found in most green, orange, or red vegetables and it is what aspirin is made from.   They also said he could not have store bought bakery items or pre-packaged or boxed things like mac & cheese.  This was when I started making our bread from scratch and homemade mac & cheese.   Since he was off of all of these things for a long period of time he is now able to eat those yummy orange, green, and red veggies.  He still stays away from aspirin though, just to be safe.
I have mentioned many times how talented my sister is in the kitchen well, this is her recipe for homemade mac & cheese.  It is so very good and I use whole wheat elbows to try and make it somewhat healthy.   I am making this today because my poor Sprat had to get his spacers yesterday and his mouth is extremely sore.  I hope this will be soft and filling enough for him.   I hope you will try this one, you will not be disappointed at all.

2 cups dry pasta (I use whole wheat elbows)
1 cup milk
Lots of grated cheese ( cheddar, mozzarella, or jack)
2 eggs
salt and butter

Cook pasta according to package directions

Combine eggs milk and salt to taste.  Grease a casserole dish.  (I use my Pampered Chef stoneware bowl it makes a deep dish) You could use a dutch oven, that would give you depth too.  Layer noodles then cheese 2-3 times then dot with pats of butter and pour egg/milk mixture over the top.  I usually top with extra cheese and you can top with bread crumbs if you like.  Bake 350 for 30 minutes.
This does not look like Kraft mac & cheese but, it is not supposed to.  This is a very good dish.
Enjoy.

No comments: