Friday, January 16, 2015

OOPPS??? I was a Day Ahead. . .

Ok, I got ahead of myself yesterday, sorry.  I thought it was Friday, I am so mixed up this week.  Sprat with the flu, exams, and this nutty weather and school delays, it is any wonder that I am not at the Funny Farm.   So, you had "financial Friday" yesterday I guess that makes today "crafty Thursday."   Now that I have you all completely confused let's get moving.
I saw this idea on Pinterest several years ago, and like everything, I bought the stuff to do it but did not get it done.  This is something neat if you have bird feeders and have a good many birds that frequent them.  That means you have a lot of birds nesting near your house.  
This will help your birds "feather" their nests, so to speak.   You will need one of those wire baskets that you put the suet bricks in to hang them from your shepphards' crook.  Next you will need some colorful pieces of yarn.  If you do anything with yarn you will have little scribbies that you keep because you think there must be something I can use these for.   If you have small balls of yarn you can cut these up into smaller pieces.   You are going to take these pieces of yarn and stuff them inside the wire cage.  You will hang your cage out by your bird feeder so that your birds will be able to pull the yarn from the cage and use it in their nest.  I should have probably done this sooner since the birds are probably done "feathering" their nest for the season.  I will still try it and see what happens, with the colorful yarn I have as my left overs it will be evident in the trees if it is being used.
I looked to see when birds actually build their nests and according to what I read, it begins in Spring. One source said they begin in March.  I have put my little yarn dispenser out and we will wait and see what happens.  My yarn looks a little roughed up, so I think they have at least checked it out.  I will let you know if I see anything in the trees.  This would be a good craft project for the kiddos, maybe elementary age.  Let me know if you try it and what your results are.  Good luck!

No comments: