Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Paper Books vs. E- Readers . . .

What is your opinion on the e-readers like Kindle, Nook, and tablets?  I personally prefer paper books to any e- readers.  I like the feel of the pages and I also like being able to pick up my book and see I only have so much left till I am done.   Sprat had a fit several years ago and wanted a Nook, he had his own money and so I let him buy one.  We found a used one in his price range and he was happy.  I think he was in sixth grade because he was reading the Hunger Games and this particular Nook had this book already loaded.  I think he has only read one book on the Nook and now he uses it to play games.  I know there are people that use them regularly to read their books and love them.  I can see the lure if you are traveling, because they take up less space than a paper book and would be perfect for that.
According to an article I read, six minutes of reading is enough to reduce stress by 68% and reading keeps your brain working effectively as you age.   If that 68% is accurate I should be stress free.  Since my classes have started all I have been doing is reading, funny how I do not feel stress free.  Reading may also keep Alzheimer's at bay, now that I can believe.   This particular article goes so far as to say that paper books are better for reading comprehension.  They said it was something about our brain linking the story to where it fell on the page.   If this is the case why are our schools so up in the air trying to push all of this testing to computer.  Maybe they should be informed of this study.  Reading an old fashioned novel is linked to improving sleep too.   Maybe I should be reading a novel instead of my programming text book before I go to bed.  I think this may be a good topic for my book club ladies.
So what do you all think; e- readers or paper books?  I would love to know what you are thinking.

No comments: