Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Back to School and the Boys. . .

Back to school. . .  My classes are getting ready to start back and I am excited.  Juvenile Justice and Ethics and the Community this is going to be a great semester.  Be looking for lots of posts with regard to my classes.  I already know there will be lots on the juvenile side, especially since I have two in my house and there are so many out there doing things that could affect their future and they do not even know it.  Case and point are those that like to send so called "sexy" pictures to others.  Check back with me later for that post, I am still working on it.
Lots of things going on this week as the kids deal with their stress and try to get ready for their final exams next week.   Trying to get everyone to eat a little better this year, not necessarily for weight loss but just for better nutrition.  The hubbs has diabetes and he has to be the healthiest diabetic in the world, per his physician and our insurance agent.   With that said, his diabetes is genetic and so I do worry about the boys and the possibility that they could develop it as well.  I found an old cook book that has some really good recipes that are high in good protein.  I want to share this one because it can be made ahead and cooked later.  Here we go:
Egg Casserole
1 large loaf of bread cubed
6oz of American cheese (I am going to use cheddar)
4 oz non fat Swiss cheese ( I do not use non fat cheese)
2 1/2 cups skim milk
5 green onions sliced
20 egg whites ( I use 5 eggs, 5 egg whites)
1/2 lb turkey or ham cut into bite sized pieces (I do not use this)
sliced mushrooms 1 jar or 4 oz fresh (I do not like jar mushrooms)

Melt the cheese and a cup of the milk together over medium low heat.  Mix remaining milk with the eggs.
Combine the bread, onions, meat and mushrooms in a large bowl.   Put the bread mixture in a 9X13 non-stick or glass pan.  Pour the egg mixture over then cover and refrigerate or bake at 325 for 1 hour or until the middle is set.  Serve with picante sauce or Texas Pete.  This can be refrigerated over night.

Stay tuned. . .




No comments: