Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Birthday Celebrations. . .

Got my wake up serenade from my mom and dad, got a birthday text from my sister(her very sweet card came earlier in the week), got a sweet card from my hubby and my boys, got several Facebook well wishes, and spent the day with boys.   We went to see "Daddy's. Home" staring Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell.   Great movie, lots of bad words and a few precarious adult situations though.   I still loved it.   Wild and unexpected ending.  Is it bad that I took my boys to see Mark Wahlberg when he is my movie star crush?  Oh baby did he look good too!   Oh Yeah!!! 
Ok, back to reality.  My hubby knows I have that little crush on Mark.  He is ok with it. 
Let's talk birthday traditions.  In our house you get to pick your favorite meal.  It can be something I fix or a favorite restaurant. We always do some sort of cake, the birthday persons' choice.   My folks always call and sing too.  I remember one year when I was in high school my mom smuting my face with soot from the fireplace.   This was quite tragic since I was all ready to go to school and had to go back and wash my face and fix it again.  One year my parents pretended to forget my birthday.  I was devastated, they did surprise me with a cake and little get together later after they had let me stew for awhile.   Oh, and I remember one time when my brother turned thirty we tied black ribbon on everything and we all wore black arm bands even the dog had a little black band around her leg.   We fixed a wreath with a lot of "old people" stuff, like Rolaids, tums, gas pills, denture cream and a bumper sticker that said "over the hill."  We put the wreath on his bedroom door.   He tried to pay me back when I turned thirty but he felt sorry for me when he came to see me.  I was in the throws of morning sickness because I was pregnant with Sprat at the time.   He felt I was getting plenty of payback through that.  
When my hubby turned thirty I threw him a surprise party.  I had everything planned, I had everyone at the house, their cars were parked up the road and his friend had taken him elsewhere so we could prepare.  We waited and waited and finally I called his friend and asked why they had not come home.  He said the hubbs was watching a game on TV and would not leave.  I had a house full of people and food and no guest of honor.   I told his friend to tell him that he had to get back because he and his wife needed to head home.   When he finally did come home he came in through the garage and would not come up stairs.  I had to make him come up telling him he had to take the garbage out.   I would like to try to surprise him again for his fiftieth but I do not know if I can pull that off again.  He was surprised and he loved having everyone there.  
I would love to hear from everyone about your birthday traditions.  Stay strong and remember Breathe . . .

No comments: