Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Hard Talks Ahead. . .

Today I found out that one of Sprats' classmates committed suicide last night.  I am very sad for this family and for this young man's friends.  We wonder why things like this happen and there is no rhyme or reason to it.  As a parent my heart is breaking.   I found out from a friend and then Sprat told me when I picked him up from school today.  He was upset that the school had not said anything about it.  They are usually good about offering kids time to talk with a counselor when ever there is a sudden death of a student. 
  The hubbs had a colleague whose son had killed himself several years ago and my hubby and I decided at that time we should talk with the boys about this.  Needless to say, this is an on going conversation.    Sprat knew "the talk" was coming. 
Parents, I cannot say enough that depression is real and is serious.   I encourage you all to have "the talk" with your kids too.   You may be saying to yourself; my kids are fine, we talk all the time, my kids know how I feel about them and so on.  Does that sound familiar?   I said the same thing too, until my husbands colleagues' son.  This young man was a junior in high school, an all star athlete, and a straight A student.  He shot himself, and this family did not own a gun.   We talked at length with our kids about peer pressure and how there was nothing too big and too bad that we could not face it together.   Yes, my kids know I love them but they need to hear it and often.  Kids need to be reassured that they are loved and that you as their parents will be there no matter what.   
I will hug  my kids a little tighter tonight before they go to bed.   Being a parent is hard work, being a kid in a house where they barely see their parents is even harder.   I am frequently called over protective and maybe I am but my kids are my priority above all else.   My time with them is fleeting and it is my job to protect them from things I know to be bad for them.   If that makes me overprotective, then so be it.   Hug those kiddos!!!

No comments: