Thursday, January 21, 2016

Beware of Scams. . .

Let us talk phone sacams.  You probably know the one about the IRS.  They call and it is someone speaking with a harsh accent and they tell you they are with the IRS.  They do not say the Internal Revenue Service, which should be your first clue.  Next, the IRS does not call you about anything.  They send certified or registered letters.  They will never call you and ask for money over the phone.   I must say when I got that call many months ago a shiver went down my spine at the sound of "this is the IRS," that is what they want.  They want to scare you into sending them money.  Please, please, never send anyone money or give out your information over the phone.  These people are criminals and are praying on your fear.  If you are not home and they leave a message it is usually a mechanical sounding voice telling you to call a number or they will send the sheriff  to arrest you.  The IRS does not send your county officials to arrest anyone. 
Now they are calling saying they are Windows and they want to connect to your computer.  I am not sure what they expect to accomplish by getting on my computer other than maybe locking it up and holding it for ransom.   I have heard of this being done too.  They could also steal any pertinent financial information from your computer or even your identity.  These folks made a big mistake calling me this morning at 7am, especially since I was woken up at 5am to be told school was cancelled.   I ripped into this guy but good, he did not have a chance to get a word in.  He said hello and that he was from Windows and that was all it took.  I told him it was 7 am and that it was illegal to call before 9 am and that what he was doing was fraud and I was tracing his call.  I never did let him say what he wanted me to do.  I told him plenty of what I was going to do though.   Windows will not call you to assist you with your computer if you have not called them first. 
Please think before you act on such crazy phone calls, if it feels odd it probably is a scam.  If they say they are with your local government check the number, hang up and call the number that you know to be true.  Your local authorities are aware that these scumbags are out there and they would rather you call to confirm than call to file a report that you have been defrauded.   Please tell your friends, especially elderly family that could fall victim to such fraud.

No comments: