Thursday, July 18, 2013

Scary new thing kids are doing . . .

Dear hubby came home last night and as we all came together for dinner he talked with us about a disturbing new trend he heard on the radio.  This is something that high school and college age kids are doing for fun.  They are taking alcohol (liquor) and pouring it over dry ice then inhaling the vapors.  This sends the alcohol in its' purest form straight to the lungs.  This causes alcohol poisoning and death, sometimes with one attempt.  We talk to our kids about all the dangers of drugs, smoking, drinking and driving but sometimes you really need to talk with your kids about common sense.  I pray every day for my kids safety and that they will make good decisions when we are not around.  If you don't talk with your kids about these sort of things now it might be too late when you think they are ready.  My kids are 13 and 10 and we talk about most things that go on in the news.  We talked about teen suicide when it happened to a doctor friend of my husbands.  I hope that by talking with our kids about everything, that they will feel they can talk with us about anything.
I have said numerous times that I want my kids to be weird, this is what I am talking about.  I want my kids to be the weird ones that walk away from this situation.  I know there are a lot of kids out there that would just follow what ever the crowd is doing.  It is my hope that if I encourage my kids to be weird that they will have the courage to walk away and be weird.  Please talk with your kids about drugs, everyday there is something new the kids are doing to get high.  Our kids need to know so they are able to just walk away.

No comments: