Friday, May 22, 2015

A Little More Tightwaddery. . .

So a funny thing happened late last week as I was doing laundry.  I had just finished a load for the kids and put everything in the dryer and turned it on, and silence.  Silence is not really what you want to hear after you have loaded all of your kids clothes in the dryer for at least a 40 minute cycle. You can imagine the panic I was feeling, I called my appliance guy and they had already closed.   Yes, I have an appliance repair guy, everyone should.  You never know when things like this will happen.
With a load full of wet clothes I began  hanging and draping all over the house.  I took somethings outside and hung them over the rail on the back deck.  Thank goodness it was breezy and sunny so most everything dried pretty quick.  This made me think I might need a clothes line of some sort.  My sister has a neat one that is a pole in the ground that opens kind of like an umbrella so that you can hang clothes on it.  When you are not using it you can fold it down, this would be ideal.  I remember my mom hanging most everything on the line to dry.  The only thing I did not like being dried on the line were my blue jeans, they would be terribly stiff.
Two points to this story:  1.  have a home repairs envelope in your envelope system.  This envelope would be strictly for any repairs for your home, like a dryer or your AC.  Fund it every pay period with what ever you feel is adequate and fits your budget.   My dryer repair did not affect our weekly budget because I had my envelope.  2.  It occurred to me that a clothes line would save some money and energy during the warmer months.  I may have to look into this, I will just have to be careful where I put it, I do not want to create a bird hang out.
With the larger washers now on the market, they say as long as you can close the lid it can all be washed.  That is not the case with a dryer.  Amy, of the Tightwad Gazette, says that smaller loads for a dryer are actually more efficient.  This is not the first time that two things that are supposed to work together are contradictory.   I have now started washing smaller loads, actually mine are now probably more like regular loads, so that they will dry quicker.
Stay tuned for more from the Frugal Zealot, as I read her book again I pick up on more I want to share with you.

No comments: