Sunday, May 3, 2015

Looking at Colleges. . .

We went to the parent meeting last week to see what our kids have to do to apply to college.  This was the basic when to start looking and when to take the PSAT, SAT, and the ACT tests.   We got the break down on what test scores they are accepting and how much it costs per year.   It was quite eye opening since this will be my first experience getting one of my own ready to go off to college.   Everything has changed since I graduated, in the dark ages, as my kids would say.
They are encouraging the kids to do everything earlier than when I was gearing up to go.  They also are offering more advanced courses than when I was in school.   I never went on a college tour either. My brother graduated from the Citadel so we visited there for parent weekends and my sister graduated from NC State so we visited there various times of the year.   I knew I did not want to go into the military and NC State was too big for me, so I ended up at Campbell University.    I loved my science classes so I graduated with a BS in biology.  The hubbs also majored in biology and minored in chemistry at Elon.   We both love science and neither of our kids really like science.   Not sure what either of my boys would like to do when they grow up, if they grow up.  I am pretty sure it will not have anything to do with science, unless it is geology. 
I hope they will both find something they can earn money doing that they enjoy.  My dad always says,  if you enjoy what you are doing you will never work a day in your life. 

No comments: