Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Save Money with Homemade. . .

Remember how I told you I read everything, from newsletters to magazines, novels, text books (depending on the time of year), anything dealing with finance, and how to articles.  You know how much I love Dave Ramsey, well he recommends certain books and one that he had suggested was "The Complete Tightwad Gazette," by Amy Dacyczyn A.K.A the Frugal Zealot.  I have had this one for several years and I decided I would read it again.   I always thought I was a tightwad but she makes me look like a spend thrift.  Keep in mind the first copyright of this book was 1992 and I am not sure if it is still being published.  I found my copy at our used bookstore. If you have not been to a used bookstore I highly recommend it.  I have tried to get my sister to open her own used bookstore for many years.  I know everyone thinks print is a dead technology but some of us still like the feel of a "real" book in their hands.  Our used bookstore has such a great variety, they even have text books for those trying to save on school costs.
Mrs. Dacyczyn takes tightwaddery to a whole new level, like I said she makes me look like a little leaguer.   She does have really good tips on how to save money cooking from scratch.   I am going to share a couple recipes that she had in her book for some seasonings and one for soft pretzel dough.
Soft  pretzel dough
1 pkg yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
4 cups flour
1 egg beaten

Combine yeast, water, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.  Stir in flour knead on table until dough is smooth.  Shape into pretzel use water to stick it together, place on cookie sheet and brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.  You could sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar if you are wanting something sweet.
Bake 15 minutes at 425

Here are some seasoning mixes:
Seasoned Salt
5 tbsp salt
3 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
mix all together and store in an air tight container, glass preferably.

Taco Seasoning
6 tbsp chili powder
4 1/2 tsp cumin
5 tsp paprika
3 tsp onion powder
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
mix together and store in air tight container.  This is stronger than store bought so add a little then taste and add more if needed.

Until we eat again. . .


No comments: