Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bedtime. . .

My oldest son is 13 and thinks he is 19, he has complained the last several months about his bedtime.  My kids start toward bed around 8:15 to 8:30 with a goal that they are in the bed by 8:45.  Don't everyone blow up my comments section with how strict I am being.   My kids are so grouchy when they don't get enough sleep I just believe they need to go to bed early.  Dear hubby has been championing the cause for a later bedtime for my oldest.
Here is the other grab.  My youngest is 10 and  the boys share a room.  They have only been sharing a room maybe 5 years.  Since they are sharing a room it is hard to send the youngest to bed by himself.  I am really trying to adapt our bedtime routine to fit both boys.  Our bedtime routine consists of:  nightly devotions, Bible readings, prayer, and teeth brushing.  I know that my oldest is growing up and that he should probably not have to go to bed so early but, I also know how bad they need their sleep during the week.  Now I am way more relaxed about bedtime on the weekends and during the Summer.  It is just during the school year that I stick to my early bedtime.
For about a month now the oldest has been going to bed at 9 and the youngest still going to bed at 8:30ish.  So far it is working out ok, the oldest is getting up and getting ready fairly well in the mornings and the youngest is not too traumatized going to bed alone.  The first of many hurdles to having two boys only three years apart.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

On school nights, Peter and Sarah get ready for bed at 8:20 and are usually in bed by 8:30-8:45.

Peter will read for a bit and usually be asleep by 9:00 or so. Sarah on the other hand will still be awake at 10:00 when I go to bed and honestly, I think she lays there some nights until 11:00 or so! YIKES! I have no idea what to do about that. They both usually get up fairly easy in the mornings luckily but they never hop right up.

Pampered Mom said...

Thomas sounds a lot like Sarah. He used to do that to me all the time. That is when our devotions and Bible reading started at bedtime. That time allows Thomas to calm his mind down and get cozy in his bed while I am reading. That makes our transition to sleep easier. Thomas used to get up and come downstairs to our room at all hours of the night saying he could not sleep.