Monday, February 18, 2013

Lent. . .

As we enter the season of Lent, everyone is talking about what they are giving up for Lent.   I grew up Baptist and we never really talked about giving things up for Lent.  The first time I remember hearing someone talk about giving up something for Lent was right out of college.  I worked with a girl that was Catholic and she was talking about what she was giving up and what she had given up in the past.  I never gave things up for Lent until three years ago when my oldest son came home from Church and said I am giving up the X Box for Lent.  I was surprised to say the least, since the world often revolves around the X Box at his age.  He did well and he did not give in to temptation.  I decided since my son at 10 could give up something that I should also reflect and give up something that meant a lot to me.  That season I gave up soda.  That was not easy.  This year I decided I would give up Facebook during Lent.  My oldest is giving up caffeine and my youngest is giving up sugary drinks.  I am really proud of them and so glad that we are able talk about our spiritual lives together.  I did not tell them they had to give up anything, this is their idea of what they want to do for themselves.  I haven chosen to give up Facebook all together for Lent.  No checking, no updates, nothing, I am not even going to log on.   I did post an update on the Famine the kids were doing on Saturday but that will be the last time until the end of Lent.
Our minister talked about Lent yesterday and he said it was not a season of anticipation and joy like Advent but, of reflection and soul searching.  It is a time for us to reflect on our lives and our relationship with God.

No comments: