Friday, February 22, 2013

Flashback to dating. . .

Dear hubby and I were talking the other night about when we first met.  We were talking about this because we were wondering how our boys would be when they met "the one."   Dear hubby and I met working together third shift in a lab.  I never thought in a million years I would be working third shift or that I would meet my husband at that time.   We ran a test together and he was the lead tech, so I guess you could say he was my supervisor.  When we first met I thought he was a dumb jock.  He listened to heavy metal music and loved football.  He was always saying dumb things about women and how we were inferior to men.  I went with him to a concert for what I thought was  a first date.  He let me know quickly after the fact, that was not a date.  I was a little confused because he picked me up, he paid for everything, and he took me home.  That to me was a date.  I was very upset when he announced to everyone that it was not a date.  I told him he need not worry about asking me on a "date" because I would not go anywhere with him again.   We both worried the poor girl that worked behind us to death.  He would go to her and complain about me and I would go to her and complain about him.  After almost two months we did have an official date.  We went to  a nice restaurant that had horse drawn carriage rides out in front.  When I saw the carriage rides out front my heart just fell, I had always wanted to do that.  We had drinks at the bar and then went to our table and ate.  Over dinner he asked if I would like to go on a carriage ride.  I just about jumped across the table with glee, but I nonchalantly said yes that would be nice. Deep inside I was a 10 year old little girl doing cartwheels.  Dear hubby at this time did not use credit cards and the drinks were more than he expected.  You guessed it, he did not have enough money to pay for dinner.  When he made that face and looked so pitiful I offered to help with the tab.  I was quite sad because I figured that this meant no carriage ride for us.   Dear hubby was determined to keep his word on the carriage ride so he went to the teller  to get enough cash so we could take our ride.  We got there just in time, we were the last ride before they closed up shop and took the horses back to the barn.  It was the most romantic date I had ever been on.  That is what he considered a date and was our official first date.   He always finds a way to surprise me, even now after twenty years.  

No comments: