Friday, October 17, 2014

BBQ Beer Chicken

Ok, so I have been using my crock pot more and we are trying to stay away from red meat so here comes the chicken.  I found this recipe on pinterest and of course I tweaked it just a bit.  I used 4 frozen chicken breast, a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (because that is what I had on hand) and two bottles of dark beer.  Now, the recipe on pinterest called for two bottles of BBQ sauce and one bottle of beer.  I covered my chicken with the BBQ sauce and sprinkled some paprika and garlic powder over my concoction, then I poured the two bottles of beer.  It needed more liquid that is why I did the two bottles of beer.  I don't drink beer so I took a recommendation from my local grocery store beer guy on the bottles I used.
This cooked 8 hours on low, then you shred the chicken and add it back to your pot for another 30 minutes or so on low.  I fixed some whole wheat Orzo and we put our shredded chicken over top of the Orzo.  I must say this was so very good.  Everybody liked it except Big T, he is my picky eater and he hates anything drenched in sauce.   He is a lot like I was at his age so I try not to fuss at him to much about it.  I do feel a constant need to apologize to my mother though, for what I put her through when I was growing up.  When we had spaghetti I only ate noodles and no sauce.
Of course I grew out of that picky stage and I eat a broader selection of food now.   I still don't like a lot of red meat but we do have it occasionally.   I prefer chicken or pork personally.
This was a great meal and we had no leftovers.  I always have leftovers.
I really like using my crock pot so stay tuned I have a few more recipes I am going to try.  

No comments: