Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My Dad and My Heavenly Father

Those that know me, may know this story but it needs repeating.  This may help you understand who I am and why, I am the way I am.  In early 1996 my hubby and I had just celebrated our 3 year wedding anniversary and I had gone home to celebrate my Dad's birthday.  It was early March and the weather was trying to warm up.  My dad is not someone that can stay couped up inside when the weather is nice.  Dad and mom went to the barn, dad was determined to work on the barn roof.  They had been gone maybe a couple of hours when I got the call from mom.  Dad had fallen through the roof of the barn, around 20 some feet to a hard dirt floor.   Mom could not get 911 on her cell.  I hung up and frantically called for her.  I grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone else so when that call went out over the scanners everyone knew it was daddy.  I raced to the barn and when I got there, there were 4 fire trucks and at least 2  ambulances.   They had dad on a stretcher wheeling him to the ambulance.   He was alert and talking which is a miracle in its self.  In the ER dad was talking and trying to make jokes to sooth mom.  He had to have surgery on his arm, it was crushed and that is all they knew.  He was in surgery for 5 1/2 hours.  We were all terrified  about what else they might find.  He did well and would have to stay in ICU for at least 3 days.  These three days turned into 3 weeks due to complications.   I stayed with mom the whole time, otherwise she would have never left the  hospital.  This is where my relationship with God was made stronger than it has ever been.   I spent many hours a day in prayer for my daddy and my mom.  I felt like I was on a first name basis with Him when all was said and done.   Dad had fractured his pelvis in several places, lacerated his liver, and of course crushed his arm.  They gave him 18 units of blood during that 3 weeks in ICU.   He was on a respirator for over two weeks and in traction for his pelvis for 6 weeks.  He turned 64 in ICU.  There were many scares during those trying weeks of ICU and they were not sure if he would walk again and a couple of  times they didn't know if he would live.   This is why I believe in the power of prayer and why I pray all the time.   I don't always get the answer I want but I know He is giving me what he wants for me. 
Mom and I saw a lot of sadness while we sat in that ICU waiting room.   I learned a great deal about myself while waiting to see if my dad would live or not.   I am glad to say we all weathered that storm and since, my dad has weathered yet another storm with regard to skin cancer and losing his ear.  Years after this incident my dad pulled me aside, he talked to me about being in ICU.  He told me at one point he was at peace and ready to let go.  He said I could have just gone to sleep but, God had a plan for me.  God was not done with me, so I faught back.  My dad is 82 now and still works and he and my mom work out at the gym several mornings a week.   This is why I pray all the time, miracles do happen but you will never know the true love and power of the Lord if you do not talk to him.   I am not a "holy roller"  I just know how truly blessed I am and I want everyone to know they can have the same.   
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication,  with thanksgiving , let your requests be nade known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding,  will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 
Philippians 4:6-7.

No comments: