Saturday, October 18, 2014

Drying Herbs. .

I love my flowers, I love my garden, but I really love my herbs.   I have basil, oregano, rosemary, sage, mountain mint, lime mint, thyme, and chives.  Most of these stay around all year.  I dug my rosemary bush up this year, so I have recently picked up another to plant.   Basil I have to buy every year, but everything else is pretty hardy. 
I love using  my fresh herbs in my recipes.   I also like drying them, you just never know when a hard winter will kill your plants.  I have a basic dehydrator (Ronco).  It has 5 trays and a heating element.   I generally leave my herbs on for at least 12 hours, sometimes it takes longer.  
Today while I was out I noticed how good my sage looked.  I started picking leaves and decided I would dry them since I was not fixing anything tonight that required sage.  I noticed my oregano was looking pretty good too, so I cut some of it.   I ended up with two trays of sage  and two trays of oregano.  I left the tray on the very bottom, closest to the heating element, empty. 
Everyone probably has several recipes that they could use oregano in but I bet you only have a few that call for sage.   This summer, when we had lots of onions in the garden, I would take a couple and cut them a little and add some butter, garlic powder, and some sage leaves.  I wrapped it in foil and put it on the grill.  They were so very good.  I have found a brown butter chicken with sage I will try sometime in the next few weeks and of course everyone knows sage is a prime herb in dressing at Thanksgiving.  
My house should be smelling really good by tonight. 

No comments: