Saturday, October 11, 2014

Wedding Day. . . .

We have a niece getting married today.   I think the wedding time of year has moved from Spring and Summer to more Fall.   I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about Weddings and how much people spend on them.  This particular listener had called in and said her parents spent $40,000 on her Wedding.  I just about went off the road.  Holy cow!!!  We had a big wedding but we did not spend near that much, I don't think we spent near half that much.    I guess the wedding theme when we got married was much simpler.  These days they go all out and spend upwards of $40,000 on renting a place to have the wedding.  Thank goodness things were more traditional when we got married.   We were married in the Church I grew up in and had our reception in the fellowship building.  We were not big drinkers so we did not have to move the reception so people could drink.   We had piano and violin music during our reception no DJ or band.  Please don't get me wrong, I am not slamming anyone that had these things, many of my friends had receptions in other places and had open bars, bands, and DJ's.  There is nothing wrong with that, if that is who you are.  I guess I just think people should do what they want, not do what everyone else is doing and break themselves and their parents on one day.  Yes, it is a big day and I will never forget my own.   My hubby and I have enjoyed 21 years together and I look back on our Wedding day with great memories and how perfect it was.
My hubby is threatening when the boys are old enough and thinking about marriage that he will offer them cash to elope.  I think there may be a fight over that one.  I have heard of other parents offering the same to their kids.  Some opt for the cash and some opt for the lavish ceremony.  I hope that my boys will pick a young lady that has a similar background and will won't a nice little church ceremony.  I think it would break my heart if my babies eloped.  I know I have many years before any of this happens but, I cannot help but think about it.  Ahhhh, the trials of being a mom.

No comments: