Monday, October 20, 2014

My Infamous Chilli. . .

Chilli was one of the first things I learned to cook when my dear hubby and I were dating.   After 21 years I do believe I have perfected it.   Starting out I did not have a crock pot so I cooked mine in a big stock pot on the stove.  I joke about my dear hubby marrying me because I could cook. He was always hungry.
I use a crock pot now and it makes things so much easier.  I don't have to babysit my recipes so they don't burn or bubble over.  Today I am making a big pot of chilli.  My chilli changes based on what I have on hand to throw in.   Here is my recipe for today:  ground beef (browned), 2 cans dark red kidney beans, 2 cans great northern beans, 1 can diced green chilies,  2-3 tsp ground mustard, 2-3 tsp cilantro,  1tbsp cumin, 3 branches of my fresh thyme(leaves), 2qts fresh tomato juice (from our garden), a splash of vinegar, I also added 2 jalapeno peppers from our garden (whole),  3tsp garlic powder, and 2 tsp onion powder.
I brown my beef in white wine and Worcestershire sauce then add to the crock pot along with everything else.   I am cooking mine on high for at least 5 hours maybe longer.  I serve mine with cheese,  sour cream,  and crackers or tortilla chips.  Yummmmm

1 comment:

Pampered Mom said...

This particular batch of chili was so very good. I cannot even describe how good it was. I don't know if it was the fresh tomato sauce for the base or the extra peppers I added. The best I have made so far.