Monday, November 10, 2014

Mom Monday. . . Thoughts on Thanksgiving

I have seen a great deal about stores contemplating opening their doors on Thanksgiving.   I remember working at my first job on Christmas Eve and praying people would go home so that I could go home to my family.  It was our family tradition to open our gifts to each other on Christmas Eve, because Santa came that night. 
I worked in a local drug store and our boss, around 5:00 or so, would say if nobody comes in in the next 30 minutes we could go home.  We usually were able to leave around 5:30.   We were never opened on Thanksgiving or Christmas day. 
I have shopped on black Friday but I don't much any more.  I do not agree with opening on Thanksgiving, that and Christmas day should be held sacred for family.  Not much about family seems important these days to large companies.  My hubby has many weeks vacation and if he does not use it he loses it.  He usually takes almost two weeks at Christmas and this year his company said he could not take it.  
It is all about the bottom line these days.  The employees do not matter it is all about what are you doing for me.  My hubby has been with his company for 22 years and they would not bat an eye if something were to happen to him and he could not work.   They would just hire someone else to fill that spot.  People/employees, have become a disposable commodity.  That is why these companies are so willing to open their doors on Thanksgiving, they do not care about their employees or if it puts them out to have to be at work.  Their only concern is their net profit.
I will not be shopping on Thanksgiving nor will I be shopping the day after.  These folks should be able to enjoy their families and not be schlepping to put money in some CEO's pocket.    
My first boss was a great man, he instilled in many a very strong work ethic.   He was very generous to the kids he employed and he did employ many kids from our local high school.  He was very stern and he expected a lot from his employees but you got a lot back from him too.   If more of these corporate goons would approach things the way the mom and pop stores used to our Country would be so much better off.   We need a time warp back to the days when an employee was valued as part of a company and the employee felt vested in the company.    I think that is what people really need to be encouraged to do a good job.  They need to feel valued and they need to feel they have a stake in the company they work for.  They do not need to be told do it or else, that is the wrong kind of mentality when dealing with people.   If you feel it is wrong for people to have to be open on Thanksgiving day then stand up and do not go shopping that day.  If they do no have big sales numbers they will not do it again.  I hope everyone will enjoy their loved ones on Thanksgiving, I know that is where I will be.  

No comments: