Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tech Tuesday. . . Donating Computers. . .

It is great to donate your tech equipment if you are no longer using it.  Donating helps others but do be careful when donating computers and anything that contains your personal information.   The best thing to do is to wipe your hard drive clean.  This merely keeps an honest man honest.  You would not leave your house without locking your doors so, do not donate with out wiping that hard drive. Now when I say wipe I mean electronically wipe it not with a swifter.  There are lots of products that claim to erase files and erase your hard drive, do be careful some do not do all that they claim.
Here is a site to check out,  www.dban.org    This offers a FREE program to delete your hard drive, you know I am all about FREE when it comes to computer programs.  I am also very skeptical too.  The sites that I will recommend here are sites that my instructors have recommended and  I deem safe to use.
 I am always looking for used or old computers to work on so if you have one and would like to get rid of it and are local let me know.   I had one friend donate her old desktop to me to work on and I appreciate it so much.  I need the experience of taking them apart and putting them back together and I might also use them for parts.  Here is a picture of me with a motherboard I was working on in class.  Who knew I was a geek at heart?

No comments: