Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Upgrade Tuesday

So I have had my desktop out of order for at least a year.  It was slow running and I think my kids had let in a few viruses.  When Microsoft went away from XP, which is what I had on this system, I shut it down all together.  Since I have been taking my computer classes I have learned a great deal about upgrades and have had a couple of projects where I have had to upgrade a system.  I decided there was no time like the present and I have been working on my desktop for about a month.   I took my case apart and cleaned it out.  Yikes! the dust bunnies.  
Because I am a student I was able to get a free copy of a newer version of Windows. 
I worked most of the day yesterday to get everything back up and running.  I ran my Free virus software, transferred files, and had to learn my  way around this new system.  It is up and running, so far with no problems. 
I changed a few things up with my upgraded system.  I loaded Google Chrome as my Internet browser, I do not trust the other one.   Mozzilla Firefox is also a good browser with good security, it is also free.  Chrome always has someone trying to load add-ons to the browser but my Free virus software catches it every time.   
With my old system I was not as diligent about updates as I should have been.  I have learned you must check for your Windows updates and make sure you are getting the security updates.  Don't skip those steps, they are important and help to keep your system running properly.  
One other tip for the day, if you have anything on your computer that you do not want lost should the unthinkable happen, back it up.   I took my sweet time implementing this one too.  I am glad I have done it now.  The one thing I did not want to lose was my pictures, my kids whole life was on my system I have just upgraded.   I purchased a small external hard drive, that I can connect via a USB cable, in order to back up anything I want on my computer.   I highly recommend this to anyone that keeps a lot of pictures that they do not want to lose on their computers.   You need more than a flash drive to keep those pictures safe.  

No comments: