Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday. . . Beer Bread

My first official post for my new line-up.   I am trying a new recipe for beer bread.  I used to sell  kitchen products and we carried beer bread.  It was really good but expensive for what you get.  I found a homemade version, and homemade is always better than prepackaged.  
Not to brag or anything but bread is one thing I am very good at making from scrarch.  My bread making started out from necessity.   My dear hubby was diagnosed with severe food allergies and he could not eat anything that was prepackaged.   My mom used to make our bread when I was growing up, so I got her recipe, it was actually my grandmother's recipe, and I started making our bread from scrarch.  It was wonderful!   Everytime I made bread I felt a little closer to my mom and grandmother.   This recipe was white loaf bread and made several loaves at a time.  
Back to my beer bread.  Obviously I have beer left from my dear hubby's run to Wal-Mart and I am going to try this new recipe.   I found this on Pinterest at jwww.livingwellspendingless.com.   I used all purpose flour so I had to add the salt and baking powder and I added a little extra beer because my batter was dry.   Here is a little tip when baking bread.  Do not use metal utensils or a metal bowl.  The metal plays havoc with bread and its ability to rise.   I like to use bamboo or silicone utensils and I prefer glass or ceramic bowls for mixing.   

The end result, pretty darn good if I do say so myself.   I will keep this recipe close by.   It is easy, quick,  from scratch, and really good.

No comments: