Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Easter Fixings. . .

I usually bring deviled eggs and some sort of dessert to our family get togethers, this year I was asked to bring mac and cheese.  I have a great recipe for homemade mac and cheese that is actually my sisters.  She shared it with me when the hubbs was having his food allergy issues and I had to make everything from scratch.  Yes, I was a baking fool.  The hubs could not have any veggies that were yellow, red, orange, or green because of his salicylate allergy.  He was also not allowed anything that was pre-packaged.  That means homemade everything.    I learned a lot during these couple of years that this was required for his health.  I learned that I can do anything that I put my mind too and that the good Lord above will give you strength to overcome.  I am going to share my sister's fabulous homemade mac and cheese recipe.

2 cups dry pasta (I use whole wheat elbow mac)
1 cup milk
lots of grated cheese (I use a whole big block of cheddar, you can use mozzarella or jack)
2 eggs beaten
salt and butter

Cook your pasta according to package directions.  I grate my own cheese because there are things added to the bags of grated cheese that are not natural.  This also saves money.

Combine eggs, milk, and salt to taste.  Grease casserole dish.  Layer noodles and cheese 2-3 times then dot with butter then pour egg milk combo over the top to cover.  I usually top with extra cheese and you can add bread crumbs for some extra texture.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

This is not your traditional mac and cheese it will have a much different look and texture than what you normally see.  This is actually a healthier version of this childhood favorite.  My hubby and I love this.  

Until we eat again. . . Enjoy

No comments: