Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Iced Coffee. . . .

Did you know that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after they have weaned from their mother?   I am not bashing cows or the dairy industry, I just thought it was an interesting fact.  Some would say that dogs, cats, and cows cannot go to the store and buy their milk so that is why they do not drink it after they are weaned.   My kids drank milk at every meal till they were about eight years old.  I tried to keep them away from soda as long as I could, once you open Pandoras' soda there is no going back.
Since the hubbs was diagnosed a diabetic almost twenty years ago he has tried to keep his sugar intake as low as he can.  He tried Almond milk, and loved it.  He also likes Cashew milk and I personally like Coconut milk.  These are all lower in sugar than cows milk.  The boys like making chocolate milk with the Almond milk.  I have also eaten cereal, made smoothies, and I cook with it too.   I do keep it in the fridge, it is just weird to think of drinking milk at room temperature.  
I have told you all of this so that I could share my iced coffee recipe with you.  I have found I really like iced coffee these days.  I have never been one for hot drinks, not even hot chocolate, I do drink hot tea every now and then when I have a sore throat or am feeling under the weather.   Do not laugh but, I like the iced coffee at McDonald's.  I do not eat their food but I like their coffee, we have never been fast food people to amount to anything.   Yesterday I looked at Pinterest to find a good homemade iced coffee that I would like.  I also wanted something a little healthier.  I found a winner.  This recipe is from www.blueridgebabe.com 

1-3 tsp of instant coffee
cold water
almond creamer
Ice


Add coffee and 4-6 tbsp of creamer and stir to dissolve coffee.  Fill glass 3/4 full with cold water and stir.  Add ice and enjoy.
As usual for me, I changed things up a bit.  I added heavy cream instead of creamer and then used a little Almond milk.  This is really good and requires no trip to McDonald's and no sweetener.  It does not even require a coffee maker.   Below is a picture of my creation this morning.

No comments: