Thursday, March 24, 2016

Odd Things Around My House. . .

I was watching an old episode of Designing Women the other day, it was the one where they were to redecorate a house of an older woman.   If you do not know what Designing Women is, it was an 80's show about four women interior decorators and their lives.    This particular episode was about the quirky things they found in this house and the very interesting reasons why they were there.  It  made me think, what will people say about things they will find in my house one day when I am gone.  On the show the lady had a portrait of her husband hung upside down in the living room.  The reason was the lady had to lay a certain way on the couch and if the picture were upside down she could see it better.  She also had fishing lures in a glass case as if they were priceless jewels.  I laughed at that one because I got it immediately.   Her husband made those lures and sold them, that was like his display case of what he could do and since he had passed away it was evidence of what he had done.
I started thinking about all the odd things I have in my house and what people might think when they see it.  I have a zip lock baggie in my jewelry box with my precious Frito's baby teeth in it.   Sweet Frito was our very special Chihuahua and when she was a baby and her teeth fell out I would put them in the baggie to keep.  I am not sure why I did it, it just seemed right.  I have a baggie with Basil's teeth too.   I also have baggies with my kids teeth.  In my living room on a book case there is a pewter urn with my sweet Frito's ashes and a ceramic piece with her footprint along with her picture and her collar and tag.  She was a huge part of our family, my kids grew up with her.   On that same bookcase there are two wooden boxes that contain the ashes of our sweet Cainie and Jake our Labs that were also a huge part of our family.   There are no labels on these, so you would not know what they were just to look at them.  On this same bookshelf at the bottom are an assortment of turkey feathers.  Big T loves turkeys and my mom and dad always have turkeys in their yard and mom sends Big T the feathers that she finds around the house.  I also have little glass jars with sharks teeth in them.  The boys and my hubby love to look for sharks teeth when we are at the beach.  I have a jar for each beach and those teeth that they found there.  
I am sure I have more odd things laying around but to me they are not odd, they represent our lives as a family and all the things we have done.

No comments: